In spite of their impressive designs, zebra cakes are simple to make. They are actually just marble cakes in which alternating vanilla and chocolate batters poured on top of each other in the pan, and allowed to form circles. By following these steps, you can have a freshly baked zebra cake in about an hour.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Your favourite yellow cake mix
- 2 1/2 cups cocoa
- Large baking pan
Make the cake mix according to the recipe's directions. Pour half of the batter into a separate bowl.
Mix the cocoa into the batter in one of the bowls only. This will leave you with one bowl of vanilla batter and one bowl of chocolate batter.
Grease and flour the cake pan. Pour 1/3 cup of the vanilla batter into the centre of the pan. Wait a few seconds for the batter to spread out across the pan.
Pour 1/3 cup of the chocolate batter on top of the vanilla batter at the centre of the pan. Wait for the batter to spread out, then pour another 1/3 cup of vanilla batter on top of the chocolate batter. Repeat this process until all of the batter in both bowls is gone.
Bake at 176 degrees C until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Allow to cool. Serve plain or dust lightly with icing sugar or cocoa.
Tips and warnings
- For thinner stripes, decrease the amount of batter you pour into the cake pan for each layer. For thicker strips, increase the amount of batter in each layer.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for