Many people wish to have greater understanding of the shape of their face. Knowing the shape of your face can help you to more easily pick out the hairstyles and make-up that best suit you. When determining your face shape, it helps to first determine the width of your face. Once this is known, you can more easily determine whether your face is round, oval, long, heart-shaped or square.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Eyeliner or eyebrow pencil
- Hair elastic
- Pencil and paper
Pull your hair back into a ponytail if it is long, to get it out of your way. Stand in front of your mirror, and line up your face so you look directly into the mirror.
Close one eye, and trace the outline of the reflection of your face onto the mirror, using your eyeliner or eyebrow pencil.
Hold your ruler up to the outline on the mirror. Measure the distance across the widest point of the outline of your forehead, and write the number down.
Measure the distance across the widest point of the outline of your cheekbones, and write the number down. Measure the distance across the widest point of your jawline, and write the result down. Turn your ruler into a vertical position, and measure the length of your face, from the centre of your forehead to the centre of the point of your chin.
Determine the widest point of your face, based on your measurements. This number equals the width of your face.
Tips and warnings
- Your face is round in shape if the length is approximately equal to the maximum width.
- Your face is oval in shape if the length is approximately equal to 1.5 times the width, and the width of your jawline is about the same as the width of your forehead.
- Your face is heart-shaped if your widest measurement is found across the cheekbones, and your jawline is narrower than your forehead.
- Your face is square-shaped if your jawline and forehead are sharply angled and equal.
- Your face is long if the length is more than 1.5 times the width.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for