Découpage is the art of applying pieces of paper or fabric to a surface. This craft is doable on a number of surface types, but wood is one of the easiest. Creating a decoupaged wooden picture frame allows you to have complete creative control of how the final product turns out. Use the picture you'll place in the frame as inspiration for the outside. For example, if the picture is of your family at the beach, use beach-themed pictures in the découpage.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Fine-grit sandpaper
- Pieces of fabric or paper
- Glue roller
- Découpage glue
- Cling film
- Foam craft brush
Prepare the surface of the wood frame by lightly sanding the surface with fine-grit sandpaper. Brush off any dust so it doesn't interfere with the gluing process.
Cut out pieces of fabric, decorative paper, small pictures or any paper objects. Stickers are another option. Plan the layout of the items by doing a dry test run directly on the frame's surface. Make a collage pattern to cover the entire surface of the wood or strategically arrange the items around the surface for an orderly appearance.
Apply a layer of découpage glue directly to the back of the paper or fabric, using a glue roller. Stick into place on the wood frame and repeat with all items until complete.
Place a piece of cling film over the wood frame and use another clean glue roller to press the pictures down and remove any air bubbles. Wipe any excess glue away and allow the frame 24 hours to dry.
Use a foam craft brush to apply a layer of découpage glue over the paper objects on the wood frame to seal them into place.
Tips and warnings
- Apply several additional layers of découpage glue, allowing time to dry between each coat, to achieve a look that resembles the objects being painted on the surface.
- Lightly sand the finished surface with fine-grit sandpaper for an extra-smooth finish.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for