Adding a Twitter feed to a Tumblr sidebar helps increase your social media exposure and connects your audience in a personal manner. The ability to import a Twitter feed depends on the theme you've chosen to implement on your site. Most themes have a Twitter widget incorporated into the theme structure. A widget is a small application that helps integrate additional features into a blog or website.
- Skill level:
Access your Tumblr dashboard by logging in to the site with your username and password.
Select the "Customize" link located beneath the name your Tumblr site on the right-hand side of your dashboard. The "Customize" option is located at the bottom of a series of links related to the functionality of your site and is just below the "Queue" link for scheduled postings.
Activate the "Theme" tab and scroll through the theme options once the drop-down menu appears. Choose a theme that has a two-column layout with a Twitter widget installed on the sidebar. In order to install Twitter on the sidebar, your Tumblr theme must have the option to import Twitter in the desired location. If your chosen theme has this capability, you can simply add your user name in the "Appearance" tab.
Go to the "Appearance" tab once your new theme is installed and select the link to activate the drop-down menu.
Scroll down the menu and find the "Twitter Username" box and enter your Twitter handle or username. A Twitter handle is the name that appears after the "@" symbol on your tweets.
Press the "Save + Close" button at the top right-hand corner of the customise screen to save all the adjustments made to your Tumblr.
Visit the site and check to see that your Twitter feed is importing properly and that your new theme creates the desired outcome for your site.
Tips and warnings
- Themes are created by individual developers, so options will vary slightly for each theme as to placements or availability of importing Twitter feeds.
- Select multiple themes until you have found the layout that suits your purposes. When a new theme is selected, an example is displayed before you save the new theme. Take a minute to navigate through the various sections of the new theme before you finalise the design change.
- Be sure your Twitter feed is appropriate for placing on your site. For example, if your main dialogues on Twitter are personal, placing your feed on a professional site may be inappropriate and embarrassing at times.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for