File management is an important part of website administration. Folders that have no purpose only use up valuable disk space and offer hackers a place to get a foothold. The Joomla! content manager creates and uses more than 1000 files and folders. Installed extensions and templates will create even more files and folders. Be certain an installed extension is not using a TMP folder before you delete it. The quickest way to delete a TMP folder is to use your hosting company's file manager or an FTP program, but a Joomla! file manager type extension is also available.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Point your browser to the Joomla! Extensions Directory and download the "eXtplorer" component. A link for the component is given in the resources.
Log into the Joomla! administrator using your admin user name and password. Choose "Install / Uninstall" from the Extension menu, then click on the "Browse" button. Navigate to the component .zip file on your local computer, click on it and then click the "Open" button. Click on the "Upload File & Install" button to install the component.
Move the cursor over the "Components" menu and select "eXtplorer" from the list of components. The eXtplorer file manager will run and display the folder structure on the left side, and the files within the folders on the right. To see the files within a folder, click on the folder name in the left pane.
Locate the TMP folder you wish to delete and click on it. Click on "Delete" or the red "X" on the menu. The folder and all of its contents will be deleted.
Click on the "Return to Joomla!" link in the upper left of the screen. The eXtplorer file manager will exit and return you to the Joomla! back-end administrator.
Tips and warnings
- eXtplorer is good for quick access to perform a simple file manager type function like deleting a file or a TMP folder, renaming a file or moving a file from one location to another . For more complex operations or multiple operations, using an FTP program is a better choice.
- eXtplorer uses the server root directory and not the Joomla! root directory which can be two different places. If you are on a commercial hosting account and you are hosting more than one site on that account, you will see the server root as the starting point of the folder and file directory structure. Make certain the files you are working on in eXtplorer belong to the Joomla! installation you are working on and not a different one.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for