Ultimate Boot CD is a free, downloadable disc image that can be burnt to a recordable disc. It is used to start up computers into a boot environment containing several troubleshooting and repair utilities. Ultimate Boot CD can also be installed onto and booted from a USB memory stick, which is especially useful for troubleshooting computers that don't have an optical drive.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- USB memory stick (formatted)
- Compression utility that supports ISO format
Download the ISO from the Ultimate Boot CD download page.
Unpack the ISO using a compression utility. Programs that support unpacking ISO files include Daemon-Tools, 7-Zip and WinRAR. Move the "ubcd" folder into the root directory of the C: drive.
Insert your USB memory stick into the computer and note the drive letter.
Open a command prompt window by left-clicking on the "Start" menu button, clicking "All Programs," clicking "Accessories" and "Command Prompt."
Type "cd \ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb" without the quotation marks and press "Enter."
Type "ubcd2usb c:\ubcd X:" without the quotation marks and replacing "X" with the drive letter of your USB memory stick. Press "Enter" and UBCD will install onto the memory stick.
Tips and warnings
- If your memory stick is unformatted, replace the command in step 6 with "ubcd2usb c:\ubcd X: /f" (without the quotation marks) and replacing "X" with the memory stick's drive letter. This will reformat the memory stick before installing UBCD.
- Not all tools will work when booting UBCD from a USB memory stick.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for