Homeowners decorate gardens and yards with plastic water fountains to add visual interest to the space. Manufacturers use plastics and resins to create a lightweight fountain that resembles heavy materials, including marble, concrete or stone. Exposure to weather and temperature changes can cause cracks and leaks in the water fountain. As water freezes, it expands, putting pressure on seams and hoses, forcing them apart allowing water to leak from the fountain.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Dish soap
- Scrub brush
- Exterior silicone sealant
- Putty knife
- Supply hose
Disconnect the electrical connection or shut off the breaker if the fountain has an electric pump.
Examine the fountain to determine the point where the water leaks.
Remove the water from the fountain. Clean the fountain with a mild dish soap and scrub brush to remove dirt from the surface. Dry the fountain thoroughly with a rag.
Apply a bead of exterior silicone sealant to the crack or hole in the fountain. Press the silicone sealant into the crack or hole with a putty knife. Pull the sealant from the crack outward while pressing it into the surface. Allow the sealant to dry for one to two hours. Run a second bead of sealant over the first layer of sealant. Use a putty knife to press and smooth out sealant over the first layer.
Lift the top off the fountain or look at the back of the fountain to find the supply hose, if the leak is in the hose. Pull the hose off the pump. Measure the diameter and length of the hose or bring the old hose with you to a store to match the size to a new hose. Slip the new hose onto the pump and put the top of the fountain back in place.
Tips and warnings
- Allow the silicone sealant to set for 24 hours before refilling the water fountain.
- Avoid cracks and leaks by emptying the water from the fountain before the temperature drops below freezing. Keep water fountains covered with a tarp during the cold winter months.
- Choose a paintable caulk and paint over the repair to disguise it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for