Hermes Birkin handbags, handmade from quality materials and produced in limited supply, are among the most coveted in the world. But because of their exclusivity, the market has become flooded with knock-offs. It's not always easy to tell a real bag from a fake, but you might save thousands of dollars if you know the signs.
- Skill level:
Examine the quality of the material. Hermes bags are typically made of alligator, ostrich, lizard, calf or shark, which are very expensive materials. Makers of counterfeit Birkin bags tend to use cow leather. If the leather looks grainy, it is most likely a knock-off.
Scrutinise the stitching. An authentic Hermes bag has evenly spaced and slanted stitches. A replica will have uneven stitching that is not slanted.
Pitch the paper tags, which never accompany Birkin bags. Authentic versions are distinguished by a crisp and uniform-looking stamp inside the bag. With a replica, the stamped words sometimes appear on top of the contours of the handbag material, not stamped into it.
Inspect the hardware, which will be stamped with a thin, elegant "Hermes-Paris"; fake bags often include lettering that is larger and spaced farther apart.
Consider the price. Authentic Hermes handbags typically sell for around £6,500, depending on the materials. Even used bags are not heavily discounted and may cost around £4,550. You might find a handbag for much less on a discount retail site, but it is most likely a fake. Hermes Birkin bags are produced in limited quantities, which ensures that their prices will remain high. A "cheap" Birkin bag is most likely a knock-off.
Tips and warnings
- When in doubt, use websites to help you determine if the Birkin Hermes handbag is authentic. Several sites include pictures of what to look for before you start shopping.
- Even after following these steps, it may still be difficult to determine if the handbag is a knock-off. Many handbag producers exist to dupe consumers, so use caution when making your purchase.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for