You can cook potatoes, fry meat and prepare eggs all at the same time on the same griddle. The potatoes take minimal preparation and many homes have kitchens with griddles as an option for their oven range. Otherwise, electric griddles purchased at retail stores can be plugged in wherever there is an outlet.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Paring Knife
- Vegetable brush
- Chef's knife
- Cutting board
- Water pan
- Vegetable oil
Cut all sprouts and dark spots from the potatoes with a paring knife.
Scrub the potatoes with a vegetable brush under running water.
Cut each unpeeled whole potato into four slices lengthwise with a chef's knife. Lay half of the potato -- two slices -- flat on the cutting board with the rounded side up and slice into one-inch squares.
Place the potato squares into a pan of water as they are cut.
Heat the griddle to 149 degrees Celsius and coat it with vegetable oil.
Pour the potatoes into a colander and allow them to thoroughly drain.
Test the oil to determine if it is hot enough by adding a drop of water onto it. The oil is ready if it sizzles and pops.
Shake the colander free of any remaining water and pour the potatoes on the griddle.
Season the potatoes with salt and pepper.
Brown the potatoes on one side, then use a spatula to turn and brown the other side. Continue turning every two to three minutes until the potatoes are evenly browned and tender. They are ready to serve.
Tips and warnings
- Sliced onion and green peppers cooked with the potatoes are great flavour enhancers.
- Season the potatoes with anything from garlic to Cajun seasoning to suit your taste.
- Do not cook the potatoes to the point that any side is blackened.
- Shredded, cube or slice the potatoes however you like them -- simply make them uniform in size so they cook evenly.
- Be prepared for some sizzle and pop when the potatoes are first placed on the griddle.
- Heat only as much of the griddle as is needed for the amount of potatoes.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for