AVG is an antivirus program that features a free edition as well as two paid editions offering more security elements and 24/7 support. "World of Warcraft" (WoW) is an online game developed by Blizzard Entertainment. AVG sometimes blocks WoW during installation because the Resident Shield component from AVG thinks the file has malware. To install the game, you must disable AVG's Resident Shield.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Launch the AVG interface by double-clicking its icon.
Double-click the "Resident Shield" option displayed on the right side of the AVG interface.
Remove the check-mark from the check box displayed next to "Resident Shield Active." This check box is located at the bottom of the window.
Click the "Save changes" tab and Resident Shield will be disabled.
Go to the WoW website and download the game without AVG blocking the file.
Tips and warnings
- After downloading WoW to your computer, an AVG prompt will ask you if you want to allow or block the Blizzard Launcher, which opens WoW. Select "Allow" every time you launch the game. Or, to avoid this prompt,disable Resident Shield before you start playing.
- Make sure to enable Resident Shield after you download WoW, or after you stop playing. Keep in mind that Resident Shield is the component AVG uses to protect you from viruses, malware and potentially harmful websites. If Resident Shield is not enabled, AVG cannot block harmful threats that could impact your operating system.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for