Yahoo! Alerts is a free news-alert service provided by Yahoo! Mail. By setting up alerts through your Yahoo! Mail account, you can have Yahoo! News alert you to the latest, most up-to-date news about the topics that interest you. You can configure Yahoo! Alerts to send you a wide variety of categories such as health, business, entertainment and current events. Yahoo! can deliver this news via e-mail and Yahoo! Messenger, or you can set up the service to send you alerts via SMS text messages on your phone or pager. If you later wish to stop receiving these alerts, you can easily turn your Yahoo! SMS alerts off.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Log in to your Yahoo! mail account by entering your username and password at mail.yahoo.com.
Click your name in the upper left corner next to the Yahoo! Mail logo. A drop-down menu appears beneath your name.
Select "Accounts" from the drop-down menu. A new tab opens with your account dashboard.
Scroll down to the "Notifications and Subscriptions" section and click the "Set up Yahoo! Alerts" link.
Click the "My Alerts" tab across the top under the Yahoo! Alerts logo.
Turn off only SMS alerts for an individual subscription, but keep the alerts on your other services such as e-mail, Yahoo! Messenger and the Yahoo! iPhone apps, by clicking the "Edit" graphic next to the alert you want to change. Then, uncheck the box next to the "Mobile" field and click the orange "Save Alert" button in the lower right corner.
Turn off all Yahoo! alerts for an individual subscription by clicking the green "On" button next to the alert name, located under the "Status" column. This turns off not just your SMS alerts for the subscription, but also any alerts to your e-mail, iPhone app and Messenger account, if you have set them up.
Turn off all Yahoo! alerts for all your subscriptions, including all SMS alerts, by clicking the "Off" link next to the "Turn All Alerts" section, located in the "My Alerts" tab under your list of subscription alerts.
Tips and warnings
- If you disable alerts by clicking the "On" button in the "Status" column next to the alert name, you can re-enable the alerts at a future date by clicking the "Off" button.
- Click the trash bin icon on the far right of the subscription alert's row to delete the subscription altogether. Unlike turning off the alert, you can't undo this action. To re-add a subscription that you've deleted, you'll have to re-enter all the information and reconfigure your apps and devices to receive the alerts. If you just want to stop receiving alerts for that subscription temporarily, it's best to turn them off instead of deleting them.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for