Making a dress from denim fabric brings together a quintessentially durable material with a traditional feminine style. When women's denim dresses are worn in the right context, they can be both sexy and evoke notions of outdoorsy strength, according to women's fashion magazine Elle.com. If this is a fashion message you seek, sewing your own denim dress offers the opportunity to customise the dress pattern to best fit your body type.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Things you need
- Denim dress pattern
- Soft measuring tape
- Denim fabric
- Strong thread
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
Choose a denim dress paper pattern from an online catalogue or fabric store. Follow the pattern instructions and take the appropriate measurements of your body, such as torso length, waist and hip measurements.
Buy or acquire denim fabric. You can either buy denim at a fabric store or rip apart old denim jeans.
Buy coloured thread and any other items listed on the pattern envelope for your dress, such as buttons, a zipper or hook and eye set.
Cut out all of the pieces of the dress pattern that you will use to make your dress, following the directions on the pattern package.
Lay out the denim fabric on a flat surface. Place the dress pattern cut outs on the denim fabric. Pin each piece carefully. Cut out each pinned piece on the dotted line that best fits your measurements.
Pin together the pieces of the dress. Hold it up to your body and make necessary expansions or cinches for best fit using the straight pins.
Sew all of the pieces of the dress together in the correct order following the pattern.
Try on your dress and make any necessary modifications for the best fit.
Tips and warnings
- Use an old pair of denim jeans to rework unused denim jeans into a wardrobe addition.
- Use thread that is a complimentary colour if you want to hide your stitches, or use a contrasting colour such as yellow or white to show the stitches.
- If you are making this dress for yourself, ask a friend of family member to help you when you are measuring the dress against your body.
- Denim is a thick fabric and will necessitate a strong needle and thimble if you are sewing by hand.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for