Like any piece of software, "The Sims 3" video game has errors from time to time. Whether it's the program itself, an issue with your operating system or a problem with the video card, sometimes Sim characters become frozen in the game. Fortunately, the developers incorporated a code into the program that you can enter to completely reset a Sim that seems stuck and isn't moving. All you need to know is the character's full name, which displays when you hover the mouse cursor over the character's head.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Start "The Sims 3" game and enter the household that has the frozen Sim.
Press the keys "C," "Shift" and "Ctrl" together to open the game's command prompt.
Type, without quotes, "resetSim" followed by a space and the full name, first and last, of the stuck Sim.
Press "Enter" and the Sim snaps to attention on his home lot, then waits for you to give him a command. Any actions that were in progress at the time the Sim froze and all queued actions are deleted.
Click an object near your Sim, and choose an interaction command from the pop-up menu to resume playing the game as normal.
Tips and warnings
- Repeated game glitches could be an indication that your game needs a patch installed. Check "The Sims 3" website once a month for patches and other game-related information.
- If you are playing "The Sims 2" and need to reset a frozen Sim, at the command prompt type, without quotes, "boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true" and then hold the "Shift" key while you click the frozen Sim. Choose the "Force Error" command from the pop-up menu. Click the "Reset" button that appears in the pop-up window.
- Custom content from third-party developers sometimes causes game glitches. If you have installed content that did not come from the official Sims 3 store or Electronic Arts, remove the files to see if your game performance improves.
- Always check for game updates before you install an expansion pack to the base game. Many times, the base game needs to be updated to prepare for the expansion pack's added features.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for