When you are passionate about conservation and protecting the environment, you may find it frustrating when your friends do not share your enthusiasm. Convincing someone to go green is no different from convincing them of anything else -- you simply need to determine how to appeal to their personal interests. Whether your target is concerned with saving money, meeting new people or staying healthy, you can relate the person's interests to going green.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Explain how they can save money. For example, by switching to a hybrid vehicle, they can save on gasoline, and by equipping their house for solar power, lower electric bills. By re-insulating a home, they can save on heating bills.
Appeal to their health. Explain how organic or home-grown fruits and vegetables are grown without chemicals and prepared without preservatives, or how bicycling instead of driving a car is a valuable form of cardiovascular exercise.
Put green living in perspective by demonstrating its place in modern society. People may be hesitant to adopt new lifestyles when they are unsure of how these lifestyles are perceived by others, and green living may seem too unusual for people unaccustomed to it. Explain that going green is becoming the new norm, and that even simple changes like switching to reusable grocery bags are commonplace.
Live a green lifestyle yourself. Leading by example demonstrates that going green is neither difficult nor unusual -- do things like recycling in with your friends so they can see how easy it is.
Invite your friends to go with you to eco-friendly events like swap meets and farmer's markets. By turning something routine into a fun event to enjoy together, they can see firsthand what they are missing.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- Planet Green; 10 Ways to Convince People To Go Green Without Mentioning the Environment; Josh Peterson; March 2009
- About My Planet; How to Green Your Family, Friends or Neighbors; Gloria Campos; October 2007
- Eco Hearth; How Do We Convince People to Care About the Planet?; Marita Prandoni; January 2010