Dehydrated green beans are an easy-to-make, healthy snack that is low in calories, fat and sodium. Green beans also are a good source of fibre. You can take dehydrated green beans camping, pack in the car for long trips or use as a healthy alternative to crisps. They make a great addition to soups, stews and casseroles. If you do not have a food dehydrator, an oven works just as well but takes a longer amount of time.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Steamer pan or wire basket
- Baking tray
- Food dehydrator (optional)
- Airtight container
Wash the green beans in cold water.
Cut off the ends and cut the beans into 1-inch pieces.
Steam blanch the beans by placing a few inches of water in the bottom of a pot and bring to a boil. Make sure the water is not high enough to get inside the steamer pan. Place beans in steamer pan or wire basket and steam for three to four minutes.
Remove beans from steamer and plunge into cold or ice water for five minutes to stop the cooking process. Drain beans with strainer.
Place green beans on a baking tray in single layer. Freeze for 45 minutes.
Cook in the oven on the baking tray at 60 degrees Celsius until the beans are crisp and all moisture has been removed. Cooking times vary and may take eight to 14 hours.
If using a food dehydrator, place beans on dehydrator tray and cook at 57.2 degrees Celsius for eight to 12 hours until crisp.
Tips and warnings
- Since oven temperatures vary, prop the oven door open to achieve a consistent oven temperature and to allow moist air to escape. Conventional ovens may not maintain consistent temperatures at low settings. Use an oven thermometer placed directly on the oven rack or tray and check every two hours.
- Store dehydrated green beans for a long period by using an airtight container placed in a cool dark area.
- To rehydrate, soak in cold water for two hours or hot water for one hour.
- If adding to soups, stews or casseroles, add a little extra water or stock to the recipe.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for