Building an indoor fly casting practice rod is accomplished with minimal materials. The practice rod is short, and it is designed to allow the same casting motions as a standard rod without the length. The indoor practice rod is ideal for developing casting skills in a small space. The rod makes it possible to develop skills while the waters are frozen and the ground is covered with snow. Casting practice is necessary for successful fishing, and the skills gained allow the angler to make difficult presentations to trophy fish.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/8-inch wooden dowel
Obtain a 1/8-inch diameter wooden dowel that is 3 feet long. The diameter and width is a standard size, but dowels that have a slight size difference are acceptable.
Designate one end of the dowel as a handle and one as a top. Wrap athletic tape around the handle end to create a grip that is 8 inches long. Build the grip into a diameter the fits comfortably in your hand.
Use a knife to cut a narrow notch in the tip of the dowel. Cut a 5-foot long piece of yarn from a yarn ball. Tie the yarn to the tip of the dowel, using the notch as the anchor point. Tie the yarn with a simple overhand knot to create a firm connection.
Practice your casting motion by holding the handle and casting the yarn. The yarn moves in a similar fashion as a fly line, and you must use the same timing to effectively cast the yarn.
Tips and warnings
- Place targets in an open area of the house, and practice casting in the direction of the targets. Film your practice and observe the timing sequence and position of the wrist and forearm to locate mistakes in the casting motion. Breaking the wrist flattens the rod on the back cast and weakens the casting motion.
- The practice rod does not load like a real rod. It is designed to work on the casting motion without the feel of a full-size rod.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for