Reddit is a social news and bookmarking website that displays the most popular Internet content based on user preferences. Once a user submits a piece of content --- such as a news story, blog post, video or picture --- readers can vote it up in the rankings, giving more visibility to the content.
- Skill level:
Sign in to your Reddit account. You cannot submit content if you are not a member. Membership is free and requires an e-mail confirmation.
Locate the original source of content. Rather than submitting a second-hand webpage that merely points to the original source of content, find the original piece of content itself. This will promote the original source of the content, which is the purpose of Reddit (see References 2).
Press the "submit a link" button on the right side of the Reddit home page.
Type in or cut-and-paste the exact URL of the content. The URL should be the specific webpage where the original piece of content is found.
Post to the most relevant category. Reddit divides its content into several categories, such as politics, gaming, pics, world news, science and technology. Find the category that suits your content the best, or just post it to the general website without a category.
Write the title of your submission. The official Reddit website requests that titles be factual and opinion-free. All opinion about the story belongs in the comments section.
Fill in the CAPTCHA code before submitting the content. This is a standard task on content submission sites. The purpose is to make sure a human is making the submission rather than a software program.
Tips and warnings
- If you are not sure what title to write, simply type in your URL and press the "suggest a title" button below the box where you type the URL. Reddit will automatically name your content.
- You are allowed to promote your own websites and blog posts on Reddit. However, social media expert Catherine Parker recommends that you start out submitting content that is not your own before you start promoting your own content. This helps build up your reputation as a value-adding Reddit user (see References 1).
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for