Padme Amidala, played by actress Natalie Portman, is a character from the Star Wars movie series. She is queen of the planet Naboo, an intergalactic senator and the love-interest of Anakin Skywalker. Although her titles are regal, the character of Padme is hands-on in fighting for intergalactic freedom. Though not as elaborate as many of her costumes, her battle costume from the movie "Attack of the Clones" is iconic. It can be easily reproduced at home and on a budget from items found in thrift stores or your closet, requiring little modification.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Long sleeved T-shirt
- tailor's chalk
- Measuring tape
- ¼ yard silver fabric
- White trousers
- Water pistol
- Plastic-safe spray paint
- Knit blanket
- Hair elastics
- Hair pins
Don a white long-sleeved T-shirt. Use tailor's chalk to mark a 3-inch wide band approximately 4 inches above the elbow, circumferencing the bicep of the shirt. Remove the shirt.
Cut two strips of silver lame fabric equal to the width of the shirt sleeve at the marked point, plus an additional half inch. Each strip of fabric should measure 3.5 inches in width.
Pin the fabric to the shirt at the marked point, shiny side facing outward. Fold under the edges of the lame, sandwiching the raw selvedge between the shirt and the fabric.
Sew the fabric in place, taking care to avoid sewing the sleeve shut.
Wear the shirt with a pair of form-fitting white trousers made of cotton or twill. Tuck the hem of the shirt into the waistline of the trousers.
Thread a white holster onto a beige belt. Wear the belt over the junction of the shirt and waistline of the trousers. Do not thread the belt through any belt loops.
Paint a water pistol silver. Insert the water pistol into the holster. Padme uses a blaster as her weapon of choice. Use a thin coating of metallic spray paint formulated for plastics to achieve the right tone. Paint the tip of the water pistol orange for safety reasons.
Drape an off-white knit blanket over your shoulders and across the front of your neck. Padme's stole or cape is heavy weight, but not overly bulky.
Finish the costume with a pair of beige leather or faux leather knee-length boots.
Pull your hair back into a low ponytail. Create two braids from small sections of the ponytail. Pull the unbraided hair into a messy bun. Loop the braids upward toward the bun and pin them in place.
Tips and warnings
- Keep your make-up minimal. Padme's battle costume is donned during extensive fighting scenes. Keep your foundation, eye make-up and lips looking natural.
- Do not forget to paint the tip of your costume gun orange. The orange paint serves as an indicator that the gun is not a real weapon. Should you find yourself in a situation involving the police, the orange tip is a clear and obvious sign that your intergalactic blaster is not a threat to anyone's safety.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for