The omega star is a multidimensional star often used for decorating homes and trees at Christmas. The star can be created with the Japanese art of paper folding called origami, using one or multiple pieces of paper. This is one of the more difficult origami creations. If you have some origami experience, you may recognise that the folding steps required to complete the star are an extension of the steps needed to make an XYZ planar model.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Challenging
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 6 square pieces of paper
Fold one piece of paper in half horizontally. Crease well and unfold.
Fold the paper in half vertically. Crease well and unfold. Flip the paper over.
Fold the paper in half diagonally. Crease well and unfold. Repeat the fold on the other diagonal. Crease well and unfold.
Locate the centre of the right and left side of the paper. Bring the two centres together. This will create a bulging "V" shape. Flatten the bulge.
Fold the top of the pyramid shape so the tip meets the bottom centre of the triangle. Unfold the top of the pyramid, and spread the sides of the triangle shape apart slightly while pushing the top of the pyramid down. Flatten the shape.
Select two opposing edges of the shape, and fold the tips over so they touch the middle of the shape.
Repeat steps 1 through 6 with the remaining five pieces of paper.
Slide the folded end of one of the shapes into the bottom of an unfolded end of one of the other shapes. Repeat until all six shapes are connected to form a square shape.
Fold each corner of the shape towards the centre as far as it will go without ripping any of the shapes. Crease and maintain the folds.
Tips and warnings
- Practice the folds and make sure all creases are crisp and straight. You can use a ruler or other object with a flat surface to crease the line if your fingers get sore or the lines are not being maintained.
- The origami omega star can be made out of thicker pieces of cardboard, cardstock or waxed paper to create a more permanent star. Any embellishments to the paper should be made before starting the folding process.
- Making an omega origami star will take time and patience. This is a difficult origami project.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for