Whether you want to roll your peanut butter into spheres or you're storing peanut butter-topped fruits in the fridge, hardening your peanut butter contains the spread and minimises the mess. Fortunately, peanut butter producers create this nutty and nutritious spread with smoothness and congealing in mind. During the manufacturing process, companies crush and heat peanuts to over 71.1 degrees Celsius before mixing a small amount of hydrogenated vegetable oil throughout the peanut butter. The hydrogenated vegetable oil hardens, stabilising the peanut butter as it cools in the jar and preventing the peanut oil from forming an oily layer on the surface.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Peanut butter with hydrogenated vegetable oil
- Waxed paper
- Baking tray
Mix your peanut butter with whichever ingredients the recipe calls for, such as sugar, butter or flour.
Shape or spread your peanut butter in the position you want it to harden. Spread the peanut butter on the bottom of a paper candy cup or pan to make peanut butter cups. Place balls onto a waxed paper-covered baking tray or dish if you are making peanut butter balls. Insert any toothpicks or decorations at this time, while the peanut butter is still soft.
Place your pan, sheet or plate inside the refrigerator or freezer. Place the platter in the freezer for an hour to create rock-hard peanut butter or store the plate in the refrigerator for 45 minutes for a firm to slightly hard consistency.
Tips and warnings
- Don't try to make balls from peanut butter unless directed to do so by the recipe. Moulding traditional commercial peanut butter without additional ingredients, like butter or grain, is nearly impossible.
- Peanut butter softens quickly, so serve your hardened peanut butter treats immediately after removing them from the freezer.
- Avoid using organic peanut butter unless specifically directed by the recipe. The lack of any stabilising ingredients makes organic peanut butter more difficult to ball or spread.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for