Memory jugs have a hazy history. They might have begun as memorials for the dead or as keepsakes intended to be buried with them. They might also have started as just a pleasant activity or hobby. Whatever their origin, memory jugs are meant to remind those who view them of people or things from the past. Intensely personal, memory jug crafts are the perfect way to display your own mementos and decorative objects that have special meaning for you.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Air-dry sculpting clay
- Ceramic, glass or clay jug
- Trinkets such as charms,
- buttons, figurines, coins, seashells and toys
- Clear acrylic sealer or acrylic paint (optional)
Wash and dry the jug.
Cover the jug with a thick layer of sculpting clay in the colour or colours of your choice.
Press trinkets into the clay while it is still moist.
Allow the clay to air-dry according to the manufacturer's directions.
Brush a clear acrylic sealer over the entire surface of the jug, or paint it with acrylic paint, covering the clay and the embedded trinkets.
Tips and warnings
- Create a personal memory jug using your own souvenirs and keepsakes, or make a memory jug representing a particular time period such as the 1960s.
- Make a memory jug for a special occasion such as a golden wedding anniversary. Embed coins from the year the couple married, replicas of wedding rings, and other mementos representing their life together. Paint the entire jug gold.
- Craft a memory jug using a theme such as "a day at the beach," embedding seashells, sea horses, beach glass, cocktail umbrellas and buttons painted to resemble beach balls.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for