Tag blankets are small blankets with loops of ribbon around the edges. These are popular baby gifts because babies love to play with or suck on the ribbons. Although you can purchase tag blankets, making one from scratch allows you to customise the fabric and ribbons. If you have basic sewing skills, you can make child-safe tag blankets with some simple materials in less than an hour.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2, 12-by-12-inch squares of fabric
- 60 inches ribbon
- Straight pins
- Sewing machine
Lay one of your squares of fabric right side up on your work area.
Lay your other square of fabric right side down on top of the first square. The right sides of the fabrics should be facing each other.
Trim your ribbon to 5-inch strips. You will want about 15 strips for this blanket.
Fold each strip of ribbon in half to form a loop, and crease it. If there are prints on your ribbon, make sure they face out.
Place your ribbon between the two pieces of fabric with the loop on the inside of your fabric sandwich and the end of the ribbon sticking out past the edge of the fabric.
Pin each of your loops equal distance apart around the fabric square, making sure to pin through all layers of fabric and ribbon.
Sew around the outside edge of the blanket with a ¼-inch seam. Be sure to sew over each length of ribbon several times. Leave an opening between two ribbons, making sure to reinforce the stitching on either side of the opening.
Turn your blanket right-side out through the opening.
Turn the edges of the opening in and pin. Stitch around the outside edge of the blanket.
Tips and warnings
- If you have trouble getting the corners of your blanket to turn, try using a pencil to push them out.
- This blanket is great with a textured fabric such as fleece.
- Be sure your strips of ribbon are only 5 inches long. If you make them any longer a baby could get his finger or hand stuck in the loop.
- Be sure to remove all of the pins when you are finished sewing.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for