Synovial fluid is a slightly thick, transparent substance found inside moving joints. It provides a padding effect between bones. Cartilage surrounds the end of each bone. The fluid in-between stops them grinding against each other. A capsule surrounds each joint and contains the synovial fluid, cartilage, tendons and ligaments. Hyaluronic acid is a crucial part of the fluid. Certain foods contain this acid and help to improve the level of synovial fluid. Pain occurs when the cartilage wears away and there is a decrease in the level of fluid present. It often leads to chronic arthritic disease.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Visit your doctor or health clinic for advice or an assessment of your joint flexibility.
Eat oily fish regularly to benefit from Omega 3 and 6. Re-assess your whole diet with the help of a nutritionist or dietitian, if necessary.
Consume fresh pineapple often as it contains bromelain, an enzyme that has a role in reducing joint inflammation.
Add soy products to your diet to encourage the hyaluronic acid production. Soy foods boost oestrogen and promote hyaluronic acid.
Prepare magnesium-rich foods for regular consumption like apples, pears, peaches, melons, avocados, bananas and tomatoes. They encourage hyaluronic acid levels to rise.
Tips and warnings
- Drink lots of filtered water to rid the body of bad bacteria.
- Steam your food as much as possible to retain important nutrients.
- Keep active, as much as possible, to stop joints from becoming stiff.
- Eat more raw food. Certain methods of cooking kill the effectiveness of vitamins.
- Reduce or eliminate harmful foods containing saturated fats found in pies, pastries, cakes and cookies. They encourage formation of uric acid crystals. These form in the joints leading to painful episodes.
- Avoid red meat and minimise consumption of processed foods.
- Reduce the amount of dairy products consumed including pasta, white rice and white bread.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for