Whether the kids need to make a mould for a school project or want to create homemade play dough, all you need to add are a few ordinary pantry ingredients to make a mould out of flour. This inedible moulding clay is easy to make and you can flatten the flour mould to create a permanent cast of your child's hands, make a homemade holiday ornament or fashion it into a creative piece of art.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 cups white flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup salt
- 4 tsp cream of tartar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Large saucepan
- Non-stick spray
- Large wooden mixing spoon
- Baking tray
Spray the inside of a large saucepan with non-stick cooking spray. This helps keep the flour mixture from sticking to the pot and makes cleanup easier.
Combine the flour, salt and cream of tartar in a large saucepan. Turn the stove on medium heat. Mix the ingredients together with a large wooden mixing spoon.
Add the water and vegetable oil to the dry flour mixture in the saucepan. Stir with the wooden spoon to completely incorporate the oil and water into the flour.
Stir continuously until the mixture thickens. Remove the mixture from the heat and allow it to cool. Knead the flour mixture into the desired shape. Create a permanent mould by pouring the hot mixture onto a baking tray. Let it cool and press a cookie cutter into the dough to create an ornament or press your hands into the mixture to make a lasting shape. Let the mould air dry for 24 hours until it hardens.
Tips and warnings
- Create coloured mould by adding food colouring to the flour mixture after you have added the water and oil.
- Use the mixture like modelling clay and fashion it into imaginative shapes. To reuse this flour moulding clay, store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to six months.
- Use caution when you pour the oil and water mixture into the hot saucepan as the oil can splash and pop up when it hits the heated saucepan.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for