Most dogs love jumping up and lounging on the sofa. They like to put their heads on couch arms or pillows. Using a cushion and bolster, you can create a portable, functional pet sofa in very little time. This will allow your pet to enjoy the comforts of a couch, leaving your own sofa free for you to relax.
Things you need
4.5 yards fabric
Polyester stuffing or foam
Heavy-duty Velcro tape
Create the sofa bolster. Lay the fabric on a clean, dry surface. Cut a 24-by-72-inch rectangle from the fabric piece. Fold the piece in half lengthwise, with right sides of the fabric facing each other. The right side is the one that will be exposed when the sofa is completed. Machine stitch a seam 1/2-inch from the fabric edge around the open edges, leaving a 4-inch opening in the seam. Turn the fabric right-sides facing out. Fill the bolster with fibre or foam. Hand stitch the 4-inch opening closed.
Make the cushion. Cut two fabric squares, each measuring 36 inches by 36 inches. Lay one piece on top of the other, right sides facing each other. Match the edges, and sew a seam around the entire cushion fabric, 1/2-inch from the edge, leaving a 6-inch opening in the centre of one of cushion side seams. Turn the piece right sides out. Stuff the cushion with fibre or foam. Hand stitch the 6-inch opening closed.
Place a strip of heavy-duty, 2-inch-wide, adhesive-back Velcro along the top edge of the cushion just before it starts to round down. Put the Velcro on two adjacent cushion sides and along the intended bottom of the bolster.
Bend the bolster around the two adjacent cushion sides that have Velcro on them. Press the bolster to the cushion, attaching the Velcro strips together firmly. The bolster forms the arm cushion of the sofa for the dog to rest its head on. Since the bolster and cushion are two separate pieces, you can place the bolster head rest in any position on the cushion, such as curved instead of at a 90-degree angle. Make sure the Velcro strips are positioned so the bolster and cushion will attach firmly to each other.
- For very large or very small dogs, cushion and bolster size may need to be adjusted. All items needed for this project are available at fabric supply stores. Their staff will answer any questions regarding fabric types and amount needed. Heavy-duty, adhesive-back Velcro is used to mount rugs on walls, so it should hold the dog sofa pieces together very well. Over time, you may need to replace the old Velcro with new strips.
Tips and Warnings
- For very large or very small dogs, cushion and bolster size may need to be adjusted.
- All items needed for this project are available at fabric supply stores. Their staff will answer any questions regarding fabric types and amount needed.
- Heavy-duty, adhesive-back Velcro is used to mount rugs on walls, so it should hold the dog sofa pieces together very well. Over time, you may need to replace the old Velcro with new strips.
Things you need
- 4.5 yards fabric
- Sewing machine
- Polyester stuffing or foam
- Heavy-duty Velcro tape