Sweet peppers usually refer to bell peppers but also can mean an Italian sweet pepper. Italian sweet peppers are used more rarely in recipes or pickling. This particular recipe will work for bell peppers or Italian sweet peppers. To jar a sweet pepper, you will need to pickle the peppers. The pickling process preserves the flavour, texture and colour of the pepper so you can enjoy it later. By using sugar in the pickling recipe, you guarantee the pickles stay sweet.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 ½ lb sweet peppers
- 2 cup sugar
- 2 cup cider vinegar
- 2 cup water
- ½ tsp. celery seed
- ½ tsp. mustard seed
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
Cut the stem end off the peppers, wash each pepper thoroughly and scoop out the seeds. The seeds are the main part of what makes a pepper hot, so make sure to get all the seeds.
Cut the peppers into thin strips.
Boil the peppers in a pot for three minutes, then drain the peppers. Throw away the water from the pot before returning to the stove.
Mix all other ingredients together in the pot and bring to a boil. Stir the mixture frequently as it reaches a boil.
Turn the heat to medium-low, and simmer the pickling mixture for five minutes.
Add the peppers to sterile, pint-sized canning jars.
Pour the pickling mixture over the peppers leaving ¼ to ½ inch of space at the top.
Seal with new canning lids and process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Store the jarred sweet peppers until you are ready to eat them. You can keep the jars at room temperature so long as that temperature won't fluctuate. A closet or garage shelf is better than near a window.
Tips and warnings
- You can sterilise canning jars either in a boiling water bath or by running them through the dishwasher.
- If a jar of peppers hasn't sealed properly, you will need to eat them right away. The jar lid will be dipped in the centre, and you should be able to press on the centre of the lid without any give. As long as this is the case, your jar of peppers is safely sealed.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for