Spaghetti is a quick and easy dish for lunch or dinner, particularly if you are feeding a large number of people. However, spaghetti sauce in a jar is often marketed in generic flavours without a wide range of complexity. If you would like to make a spicier dish, you can modify your favourite jarred spaghetti sauce to suit your taste in about 20 minutes.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 425gr. jar spaghetti sauce
- Large saucepan
- 2 tbsp diced jalapeño peppers
- 1 tbsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp chilli powder
Pour the spaghetti sauce into a large saucepan. Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
Add the jalapeño peppers, red pepper flakes and chilli powder to the sauce. Stir to blend the ingredients into the spaghetti sauce.
Cover the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Simmer for 20 minutes.
Uncover the sauce and stir. Taste a sample; the sauce should have a spicy kick to it. However, if it is not as spicy as you would like, add a second batch of spices and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
Tips and warnings
- Use the spiced sauce right away or refrigerate it in an airtight container for up to five days.
- You can add other spicy ingredients to your jarred spaghetti sauce such as cayenne pepper, Serrano peppers, hot paprika or red pepper sauce.
- If you're serving your spicy spaghetti sauce to guests, ensure they like and can tolerate spicy foods.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for