Basic pizza dough contains flour, yeast, sugar, salt, oil and water. If you're craving a pizza, but don't have the flour and/or yeast, you can use pancake mix instead. Complete pancake mix -- the just-add-water type -- contains flour, sugar, leavening, salt and calcium carbonate, which is similar in composition to a regular pizza crust recipe. Although pizza crust made from pancake mix will be more tender, sweet and cakey than a conventional pizza crust, it makes a great substitute in a pinch.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 2 cups complete pancake mix
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup olive oil plus some for greasing pan
- Large stainless steel bowl
- 13-inch round pizza pan
- 1 tsp all-purpose flour
Preheat your oven to 218 degrees C. Lightly grease a 13-inch circular pizza pan with olive oil.
Combine 2 cups of complete pancake mix, 1/2 cup of water and 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large stainless steel bowl. Use a fork to mix the ingredients together until it's a soft, sticky dough.
Sprinkle 1 tsp of all-purpose flour (or pancake mix if you don't have flour) onto a clean, dry surface. Turn out the dough and knead it for a minute or two, cover with a clean dishcloth and let it stand for five minutes.
Shape the dough into a flat circle. Place the circle on the greased pan and press it flat for an even circle.
Place pizza pan in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes, or until the crust just starts to brown.
Remove the crust and top it with pizza sauce and the ingredients of your choice, followed by cheese. Place the pizza back in the oven and bake it for approximately 15 minutes or until the cheese is completely melted and the crust is golden brown.
Tips and warnings
- You can use a baking tray instead of a pizza pan, if you'd prefer. You won't have enough dough to go end to end, so make sure you don't make it too thin. It should be approximately 1/4 inch thick.
- Kneading the dough stretches the gluten strands, developing their elastic quality; manipulating the dough will make a stronger and denser crust.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for