Some rooms are not big enough for a fancy headboard and footboard. However, you can install a headboard on the wall itself, which takes up no space at all. By making your own headboard, you can design it to match any decor you desire. You can even make more than one if you want to change the decor of your bedroom. Install a headboard on the wall if you have a Hollywood-type bed frame.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Stud finder (optional)
- Drill with bits
- Flush mounts
- Measuring tape
Measure how far up you want to hang your headboard, using a tape measure. Have a friend hold the headboard so you can stand back and look. Adjust the placement of the headboard until it is in a position you like in comparison to your bed.
Mark on the wall with a pencil at the position of the top corners of the headboard.
Run a stud finder along the walls behind your bed to find the studs. Attach the bottom part of the flush mounts to the wall, using the screws that came with them and the drill.
Measure the distance between the flush mounts on the wall and the distance down to the flush mounts from the pencil marks for the top corners. Transfer these measurements to the back of your headboard. Use the measurements to determine where you should put the other half of the flush mounts.
Install the flush mounts on the back of the headboard.
Hang the headboard on the wall by sliding the flush mounts on the back of the headboard down into the flush mounts on the wall.
Tips and warnings
- Make a lightweight headboard out of sheet insulation. Simply cover the insulation with a couple layers of quilt batting and fabric. Screw the headboard to the wall and cover up the screws by hot-gluing buttons on top of the screw heads.
- If you use a lightweight headboard, you do not need to find the studs. Screw the flush mounts into the wall with anchors. This works well when the placement of your bed is not centred on the studs.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for