The AK-47, AKM and their civilian-legal variants together make up one of the most popular types of rifles in the world. Useful in military, law enforcement and sporting capacities, the AK family of rifles has a worldwide reputation as an extremely durable and easy to maintain rifle. Because of their popularity, they are available in a wide variety of configurations, two of which are the under-folding stock and fixed stock variations. Changing the stock on your AK is a relatively easy task, and requires little in the way of tools.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- Small screwdriver
- Larger flat blade screwdriver
Field strip the rifle completely.
Remove the two butt stock retention screws located near the rear of the receiver using the small screwdriver.
Insert the large flat bladed screwdriver into the large hole in the rear receiver and press down. Pry the under-folding butt stock backward to remove it.
Inspect the rear socket at the back of the receiver for burrs. If they are present, they may make it difficult to install the new stock. Use the file to remove any burrs you find.
Insert the new fixed butt stock and screw the two butt stock retention screws back into the receiver.
Tips and warnings
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger off the trigger and out of the trigger guard while performing firearms maintenance or disassembly.
- You may encounter a butt stock that doesn't quite fit the receiver. In this case, you will need to use the file to file some of the excess material down until it fits.
- All firearms are deadly weapons. Consult your operator's manual for safety guidelines before disassembly or alterations.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for