The active ingredient, benzoyl peroxide, contained in many acne control products can help keep pimples at bay, but it can also create the uncomfortable and unsightly side effect of dry, flaky skin. Reactions can be mild to severe, and if dry, flaking, peeling skin occurs when using a benzoyl peroxide product, cut back on the use of the product or find an acne medication where the active ingredient is more diluted. Some commercial skin moisturises contain ingredients that can further irritate your already smarting skin. Fortunately, there are a number of natural remedies you can use to help relieve dry skin without after effects.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Ice-cold whole milk
- Olive, coconut or almond oil
- Ripe banana
- Castor or avocado oil
Soak a washcloth in ice-cold, whole milk. Lay the cloth over your face and leave it on for 10 minutes. The lipids in the milk will rehydrate your skin while the lactic acid and cold temperature will remove redness and flecks.
Massage a small amount of olive, coconut or almond oil on your face prior to taking a bath. Steam from the hot bath water will help the oil penetrate your skin. Leave the oil on for at least one hour. Most of the oil will have soaked into your skin after an hour. You can rinse off any excess oil with bath water.
Mash an avocado and mix in the juice from one lime. Make a paste and apply it to your face and neck. Use lukewarm water to remove the paste once it has dried.
Smash a ripe banana and pat the pulp over your face. Leave the banana pulp on for 15 minutes then rinse off with warm water.
Rub a small amount of castor or avocado oil into your skin. Allow the oil to sit for a few hours then remove with mild, unscented soap and warm water.
Tips and warnings
- Drink lots of water every day to help keep skin hydrated.
- Eat a cup of yoghurt a day, along with unsalted nuts to provide moisture from the inside.
- Seek medical attention if the reaction to benzoyl peroxide is severe and causes burning, sores, blisters, swelling or pain.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for