Taupe walls provide the perfect backdrop for a wide range of coloured accessories and artwork. The neutral hue can handle darker colours if you prefer a conservative look; or you can add some bright pops of colour to bring interest to your environment. Don't be afraid to play with different colours on a taupe wall to see what works best. Your final decision will depend on the hue of taupe, the other decor in the room and your personal preference.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Select a mixture of black and chocolate brown accents in the form of artwork, mirrors and other accessories.
Hang the dark accessories on the wall, making sure to keep the theme continuous throughout the room.
Add a couple of dark accents in the room, such as throw pillows, bedding or lamps, to tie in the theme.
Look at the colour of taupe that's on the wall and identify the undertones, which may be rose, golden or greenish-grey. It's possible that the taupe shade is completely neutral with no discernible undertones.
Select one or two colours to incorporate into the room. For taupe shades with rose undertones, blues and greens can work well. For golden undertones, go with warmer, richer colours such as oranges, reds and yellows. For taupe shades that have no discernible undertones, you can use one or more of the crossover colours in any combination or form, as long as they look attractive to you. The brighter crossover colours are teal, true red, golden yellow and sky blue. Also, different shades of green can work.
Arrange art and accessories on the walls in groupings for a contemporary look. Add accents to the room in different shades of colour that complement the particular shade of taupe.
Tips and warnings
- Take your time when choosing colours to go with the particular shade of your taupe walls. Open the curtains or blinds and let the sunlight into the room when determining the undertones.
- Always tie in the decor on your walls with accents or accessories in the room.
- If you decide on a brighter colour, try it out on the wall with artwork framed in the colour or another piece before investing in multiple pieces. You may decide you don't like the way it looks.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for