Creating an authentic-looking fortune teller's booth is all about getting the correct atmosphere. Get it right and your customers will start feeling the magic as soon as they enter. It is simple to create a gypsy atmosphere with draped scarves, candles and a few mysterious symbols. Stars and moons are fortune teller favourites. Keep lighting low to add to the magical ambience and ensure customers are relaxed as you start to look into their future.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Scarves and drapes of material in deep colours
- Luminous fabric paints
- Books about tarot and fortune telling
- Deck of tarot or playing cards
- Round glass bowl
- Battery operated fairy lights
- Silver foil
Drape fabric and scarves over as much of the room or space you are using for your booth as possible. Cover any electric lights with flame resistant fabric to create low, colourful lights.
Place a table in the centre of the room. Drape it over with black or dark cloth. Paint stars and other magical looking symbols on top of it using luminous craft paint and leave to dry.
Place a few fortune telling books on the edge of the table along with the deck of cards. Even if you don't use cards for your fortune telling it will add to the atmosphere.
Scrunch up silver foil to create a "nest" that is larger than your glass bowl and place it in the centre of the table. Bunch battery-powered fairy lights in the centre of it, hiding the battery box within the silver foil. Place the glass bowl over the top so the lights are all inside it, shining out. Cover the bowl with a scarf.
Place candles at each end of the table and around the room.
Tips and warnings
- Lit candles should never be left unattended. Use flame resistant fabrics to help safeguard against accidents.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for