Baby doll clothes, like mismatched socks, seem to simply vanish into thin air. Naked dolls are not nearly as much fun to play with, but replacing their garments can be costly. Infant clothes purchased from thrift stores and garage sales offer a solution. These outfits are usually much less expensive, and they are easy to restyle into baby doll clothes in only a few minutes.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Baby clothes
- Baby doll
- Sewing machine
Start with a sleeper. These all-in-one pyjamas are great first pieces for transforming into doll clothes because they are easy to work with. Turn the sleeper inside out and put it on the doll just as you would a baby. Lay the doll on a flat surface, and ensure the sleeper isn't twisted or bunched.
Use pins to size the pyjamas. Place the pins close together, outlining the doll's entire body. Leave the wrists open. Work close to the doll; you want the sleeper snug, but roomy enough so it will be easy for little hands to put on and take off the finished product.
Take the clothes off the doll and stitch the pyjamas. Begin at the outside of either wrist and stitch a seam to the neckline; repeat on the other side of the garment. Starting at the inside of one wrist, sew completely around the pinned outline. Double seam across the bottom of the zipper to prevent it splitting during use.
Cut away the excess cloth a quarter inch from the seam. Turn the sleeper right side out. Put it on the baby doll and fasten it.
Hem the sleeve. Mark the doll's wrist for the hem with a pin. Take the clothes off the doll. Cut the sleeves approximately a quarter inch below the pin, turn under and sew.
Tips and warnings
- This pin-and-stitch technique works on all kinds of clothes. Make trousers, T-shirts and even undergarments the same way.
- Use your child's old baby clothes or collect outgrown infant clothing from friends and relatives for additional savings.
- Cut away the excess material around the seams with pinking shears to prevent ravelling.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for