Double cream gets its name from the amount of fat it contains. A cream is considered heavy if it contains at least 36 per cent fat. Whipping cream can be substituted in place of double cream for making icing or whipped cream. However, whipping cream can have anywhere from 30 to 36 per cent fat. The fat content will determine how firm the whipped cream or frosting will be. Fortunately, whipped cream and whipped frosting only require 30 per cent fat, which makes whipping cream a good substitute. Substitute equal parts whipping cream for double cream.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Whipped Cream:
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Hand mixer
- Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Mixing bowl
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp pure vanilla
- Cling film
- Wire whisk
Add the cream, sour cream, sugar and vanilla to the mixing bowl.
Use the hand mixer to whip the ingredients together.
Stop whipping when stiff peaks form when you lift the mixer out of the bowl. You also will want all of the sugar granules to be gone so the whipped cream is not grainy.
Place the bowl in the refrigerator until you need it. It is best if used within one day of being made. The recipes makes about 3 cups of whipping cream.
Add the whipping cream, vanilla and sugar to the mixing bowl. Stir until just combined.
Cover the bowl with cling film.
Put the wire whisk and bowl in the refrigerator for half an hour. This will lower the temperature so that when you whip the ingredients they do not get too warm, which can ruin the end product.
Remove the bowl and whisk from the refrigerator.
Whisk the ingredients together. Lift your whisk from the mixture, if the peaks are stiff, the frosting is done. Stiff peaks do not fall over as you lift the whisk. This recipe makes about 1 cup of frosting.
Whipped Cream Frosting
Tips and warnings
- If you prefer your whipped cream to be a little more tangy than sweet, you can add 1 cup of sour cream to the recipe.
- For sweeter whipped cream or frosting, add more sugar. However, remember to beat well to get rid of all of the granules.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for