Travel abroad takes planning and preparation, and this includes your potential credit card usage while outside of the U.S. If you are a Barclaycard customer, there are specific steps you should take in advance of your trip to avoid potential problems using your credit card abroad. While these steps are intended for Barclaycard customers, they can also be applied to other credit card accounts. Repeat these steps for any credit card you plan to use during your trip outside of the U.S.
Call Barclaycard customer service and inform the representative of your travel dates and location(s). This will ensure that Barclaycard does not flag your abroad usage as potential fraud.
Confirm or create your personal identification number (PIN) with the representative.
Record the international Barclaycard customer service number, your account number and the three-digit security code located on the back of your card for reference during your travels. Save this information in one or more easily accessible places, but do not store it in your wallet in case it is lost or stolen.
Carry several forms of identification (ID) with you during travel, such as your driver's license and your passport, since some international merchants may require two forms of ID.
Use your Barclaycard as you normally would wherever your account type (MasterCard or Visa) is accepted.
Keep a close eye on your Barclaycard credit balance to allow for transaction fees abroad.
At time of publication, there is a 3% fee per Barclaycard transaction outside of the U.S. However, it is up to the local merchant whether this fee is calculated in U.S. dollars or local country currency.
Tips and warnings
- Keep a close eye on your Barclaycard credit balance to allow for transaction fees abroad.
- At time of publication, there is a 3% fee per Barclaycard transaction outside of the U.S. However, it is up to the local merchant whether this fee is calculated in U.S. dollars or local country currency.
Things you need
- Barclaycard credit card
- Barclaycard personal identification number (PIN)
- International Barclaycard customer service phone number
- Barclaycard account three-digit security code
- Two forms of identification (ID) (recommended)