British passport holders in the United States are able to renew their travel documents through the British Embassy in Washington, D.C. Britain is a member of the U.S. Visa Waiver Program, and its citizens are able to enter the United States for purposes of tourism and business for periods of up to 90 days without a visa. The process of renewing your British passport while in the United States is a simple and straightforward one.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Visit the website of the British Embassy in Washington for a complete review of British passport policies and information about renewing your passport in the United States. Here you will find forms, rates, contact information and travel guidelines as set by the British government.
Download the Application for United Kingdom Passport for Applicants Aged 16 or Over (Form C1) from the British Foreign & Commonwealth Office website (Resource 1). Download the accompanying Notes for Form C1 for helpful instructions and information about the application process (Resource 2). Print and complete the form as directed, making sure to click the box on line B of the "Type of Service Required" section on page 1.
Gather the required additional documents to submit with your passport renewal application. You will require two identical passport photos, your current or expired 10-year British passport, and payment of the applicable passport fees (Reference 2). As of April 2011, the fee is £137 plus a £8 postage fee for three or fewer passport renewals (Reference 6). Payment may be in the form of MasterCard or Visa or a money order, cashier's check or certified check made out to "British Embassy Government Account" in the proper U.S. dollar amount (Reference 6).
Send your passport renewal application, required additional documents and payment to:
UK Passport Service for the Americas and Caribbean
19 Observatory Circle N.W.
Washington DC 20008
Make sure to provide a return address where someone will be available to sign and receive your passport upon delivery (Reference 4).
Call the Passport Information Helpline at 011-44-208-082-4721 if you require more information or assistance renewing your British passport in the United States. The helpline is open from 7 p.m. Sunday to 8:30 p.m. Friday eastern standard time, 24 hours per day. The average time for passport renewal delivery is four weeks.
Tips and warnings
- Send your passport renewal application by registered mail or private courier to ensure safe and timely delivery.
- Before leaving the U.K., travellers should ensure that their passports are valid for their entire travel period. When entering the United States, travellers must have a passport that is valid for six months past the expected departure time.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for
- UK in the USA: Renewing My Adult Passport
- UK in the USA: Steps to Renew Your Adult Passport
- British Foreign & Commonweath Office: Application for United Kingdom Passport for Applicants Aged 16 or Over Notes for Form C1
- UK in the USA: How to Apply from USA
- UK in the USA: Passports
- UK in the USA: Passport Fees