When it comes to decorating cakes and cupcakes, icing is usually the decoration of choice. Depending on the occasion, a few drops of food colouring mixed into a simple butter cream frosting allows the baker to make the cake relevant to a particular theme or holiday. Yellow icing is perfect for sunshine cakes for small children, or for a spring or yellow flower-themed cake. For a lemon-flavoured frosting, yellow food colouring will create a look to match its taste.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 egg white
- 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla or lemon extract
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 to 2 drops yellow food colouring or
- 1/8 tsp yellow food colouring gel paste
Combine 1/2 cup butter, 1/2 tsp salt, 1 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar and 1 egg white in a bowl.
Beat the ingredients together using an electric mixer until it becomes fluffy.
Add in 1 tsp of vanilla or lemon extract, depending on the flavour you want the icing to be.
Slowly mix in the milk, using more or less to get to the consistency that you want.
Add 1 to 2 drops of yellow food colouring into the batter, or 1/8 tsp yellow gel paste food colouring. Add more food colouring little by little to reach the shade of yellow you are satisfied with.
Tips and warnings
- Gel paste food colouring will give you a deeper yellow than the same amount of regular yellow food colouring drops.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for