Tent trailers are popular for campers who like to rough it while still having some of the luxuries of home. The trailer portion provides extra protection from inclement weather, along with basic kitchen implements and a bug-free place to rest or eat. Sitting outdoors beneath the canvas tent portion of the trailer is enjoyable but not when the canvas is dirty and stinky. Regular maintenance keeps the canvas clean, which, in turn, helps the material to last longer.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Mild wool washing powder
- Natural-bristle brush
- Protective spray
Brush leaves, dirt and debris off the canvas with a broom. If the canvas material is wet, allow it to dry fully in direct sunlight. Brush the surface again to remove any mould and mildew spores.
Mix 2 caps full of mild wool detergent with 1 gallon of warm water. Submerge your natural-bristle brush in the mild detergent solution and scrub the canvas surface to remove dirt and stains.
Rinse the canvas trailer with a hose until all the detergent is washed off. Allow the canvas to air-dry completely.
Apply a protective spray to the canvas to provide a water-resistant coating that keeps water out of the trailer and reduces the formation of mildew. Follow package directions to apply the spray in an effective manner.
Tips and warnings
- Stir lemon juice and table salt together to form a thin paste. Apply the paste to mildew stains on canvas. Allow it to dry, then brush it off to remove the mildew.
- Clean your canvas trailer before each use and every time you break down camp. Leaves and other debris left on the canvas when it's folded up cause stains and encourage mould and mildew development.
- Never fold down the canvas trailer when it's wet. If this is unavoidable because of the weather at your scheduled time of departure, then open the trailer as soon as possible to allow the canvas to dry.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for