Being an extra in television programs, such as the British soap opera 'Hollyoaks,' can be a fun and relatively easy way to gain valuable knowledge of the industry. Formal acting training and previous acting experience are not required, but shows based in the United Kingdom require extras to be registered with British casting agencies.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Things you need
- National Insurance Number
- Proof of right to work in the U.K.
- Transport arrangements
- Minimal time constraints
Sign up with a U.K. casting agency that provides extras for ''Hollyoaks.'' Research the differences between agencies; some may only recruit individuals from specific regions of the U.K.; others may require upfront fees to represent you.
State your desire to work on specific projects so your name is put forward when casting calls are issued. ''Hollyoaks'' regularly extends casting calls to numerous agencies in the U.K.
Respond to any casting calls. Make personal transport arrangements to accommodate demands to be at the set with minimal prior notice. Be prepared to wait for long periods of time before you are required in a scene.
Use any opportunities you get to network with aspiring actors and others in the industry.
Tips and warnings
- Patience is a desirable attribute in extras due to the long waits that are typical. Many casting agencies look for individuals to have a contemporary wardrobe as extras are not provided a wardrobe on set.
- Extras are often expected to work at unsociable times of the day.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for