You are going to need a way to merge partitions if your computer is partitioned and one of your drives is running out of space -- but another drive on your PC has plenty of space or you just want to consolidate drives. Hiren's Boot CD contains many diagnostic freeware programs for your PC, including cleaner programs, recovery programs, BIOS tools, password tools and partitioning tools. One of the freeware programs on Hiren's Boot CD is Partition Wizard Home Edition. This tool allows users to merge partitions on their PCs.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Hiren's Boot CD
Insert Hiren's Boot CD into the CD drive. Restart the computer. The Bootable CD menu will appear. Select "Mini Windows" from the list. The system will boot into a modified Windows screen.
Click the "HBCD" menu icon on the left-bottom side of the screen. Scroll to the Partition/Boot/MBR menu item. Select Partition Wizard from the list of partition tools available.
Locate "Merge Partition" from the Partition Wizard Main Menu. A window with a graphical display of the partitions on your system will appear.
Select one of the partitions you want to merge by clicking on it.
Select the second partition you want to merge.
Create a name for the folder that will hold the content of the merged partition. Click "Finish" when done and reboot system.
Tips and warnings
- Partitions have to be NTFS to merge. If the partitions you want to merge are FAT partitions, you use the convert FAT-to-NTFS function of partition wizard to create NTFS partitions.
- Changing partition settings can cause loss of data.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for