Some dogs, not necessarily the bigger ones, will figure out a way to get into the refrigerator, usually when no one is looking. Some dogs use their teeth to pull at the handles while others will paw at the door until it pops open revealing all the goodies inside, most of which are foods the dogs should not have and could be dangerous for their digestive systems. There are several ways to keep a dog out of the refrigerator and save a trip to the vet emergency room.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Refrigerator latch, lock, straps
- Climbing rope
- Dog crate
Depending on what type of refrigerator a dog owner has, many different types of refrigerator locks specifically designed are available to keep young children and pets from helping themselves to the food inside. A side-by-side refrigerator could be tied with a climber's rope at the top in order to keep it closed. Also, specially made straps enclose both handles and snap closed for a secure fit.
A traditional refrigerator with a long handle in the front would benefit from a lock that attaches to the door and then the box portion of the appliance. Sometimes these types of locks have a slide and stop-style mechanism and others have a latch that will not allow the door to open.
When the freezer is on the bottom and the refrigerator is on the top, a dog would have a difficult time opening the refrigerator but might be able to help himself to the frozen items. A lock on both the freezer and refrigerator portion is a good idea.
Many trainers believe that crate training a dog will help to keep them from getting into places, like the refrigerator, that they are not supposed to be in. Trainers believe that when a dog owner is not home, a dog should be crated. Most dogs, if trained early, love their crate because it is a safe place for them and it is like a "cave" where they can curl up and sleep.
Tips and warnings
- Crating a dog is the best way to keep him safe while you are out of the house. They will not find their way into trouble, and you will find your home in the same condition you left it in.
- If you come home and find a mess from an open refrigerator, make a big deal of getting mad at the mess, not the dog. If you do not catch the dog in the act, then you can not punish the dog because he will not know what he has done wrong. But he will know that you do not like food all over the kitchen.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for