One of the drawbacks to an electronic office environment is the lack of document security. Once you save a document to the network or e-mail it to several others, you lose control over the document. Microsoft Office offers some features that let you restrict what other users can do to Word documents, including locking the document so no one else can make changes to it. There are two controls that let you lock a document: "Restrict Permission" and "Mark as Final."
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate Edition (for Restriction options), or
- Microsoft Office 2007 (any edition for all other protection features)
Open a document in Microsoft Word.
Click on the "Microsoft Office" button and choose the "Prepare" option.
Select "Restrict Permission" to set what you will allow other users to do to the document.
Select "Mark as Final" to save the document as a read-only file. Readers can only read or print the document.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for