The zipper pull, or pull tab, is an important component to any zipper. It pulls the slider, the mechanism that locks the zipper teeth together, up and down the zipper track. Most pull tabs are permanently secured to the slider so they won't break off. Some however do break off. If you find the pull tab of you favourite coat has broken off, don't despair. There are ways to fix the pull tab.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Metal file
- Magnifying glass
Remove the pull tab completely from the slider.
Make sure the slider can still slide up and down the zipper track.
Use the magnifying glass to inspect the break in the pull tab.
Bend the broken sections of the pull tab with the pliers so there is enough space between them to insert them back into the slider.
Use the file to file down any jagged or sharp spots on the break, but don't file off too much.
Insert the pull tab back into the slider and use the pliers to squeeze the broken sections back together. Try to get the broken pieces to overlap slightly if possible.
Fix the Original Coat Pull Tab
Tips and warnings
- If the pull tab continues to break after this repair, it will need to be replaced. There are a variety of zipper repair kits available at craft stores and online.
- Make sure the repaired pull tab does not force the slider to pull at an angle. This could damage the slider. It would be better to replace the pull tab than to risk damage to the slider.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for