Many recipes call for caramelised onions and bell peppers. Caramelization refers to the process where the sugars from the vegetables react with the fat product to give a brown colour and caramel or nutty taste. In caramelization, complex sugars are broken down into simple sugars. Caramelised onions and bell peppers are used for their different yet unique texture and taste.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1 cup onion and bell pepper, mixed
- 1 tbsp butter or vegetable oil
- salt and pepper (optional)
Add butter or oil to the pan and let it heat on a medium flame.
Add the onion and bell peppers to the pan and stir them so that all the vegetables are coated with the fat product.
Stir the vegetables every two or three minutes. When the onions turn glassy, add salt and pepper (optional).
Remove the pan from the fire when the onions have turned brown and the peppers have brown spots on the skin.
Tips and warnings
- Be careful when handling a hot pan.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for