There is a more practical option to spending a lot of money on the near perfect pair of faded denim. Stone washed or acid washed denim is a process that was developed by washing the fabric in large industrial washing machines with small pumice pebbles to give it that worn-in look. You can tailor the degree of stone washing to the areas you wish to treat if you do it yourself. To achieve this retro faded denim look, you will need a few household items and at least two days.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Pumice stone
Place the denim in a bucket filled with cold water. The denim must be entirely submerged. Let it soak for two days.
Apply moderate to rough pressure to rub the denim with a pumice stone in the areas that you wish to look stone washed. Denim is a fabric that won't tear quickly so don't be afraid to use a heavier hand.
Remove the denim from the bucket after two days and let it air dry in a place where it can get ample sunlight. Let it dry completely.
Wash the denim on the cold cycle in your washing machine.
Tips and warnings
- Use salt rathern than bleach to achieve a stonewashed look. This will enable you to avoid inhaling the chemicals in bleach.
- You can stonewash stitched or unstitched denim.
- Do not wear the denim until you wash the salt out of it.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for