Chocolate concrete, also called tiffin, amarone or cement, gets its name from its resemblance to a piece of sidewalk. This bar cookie dessert served in England and Scotland consists of melted chocolate with chunks of broken cookies and fruits in it. The result is a hardened dessert usually served with a pudding or sauce. Though not elegant in appearance, this dessert will please the palate of any chocolate-lover. The no-bake preparation method is preferable to other baked versions of chocolate concrete for its simplicity, requiring only a microwave oven.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 28.4gr. dark chocolate
- 1/2 tbsp honey
- 1/2 tbsp light corn syrup
- 3 tbsp dried fruit, chopped
- 2 Microwave-safe bowls
- 227gr. plain tea cookies, coarsely crumbled
- Buttered-coated spatula
- 177ml. milk or sweet, dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp vegetable shortening or oil
- Parchment paper
- Swiss roll pan or lipped baking tray
- Pizza cutter
Combine the butter, sugar, 28.4gr. of dark chocolate, honey, corn syrup and dried fruit in a microwave-safe bowl.
Heat the mixture on medium power for three minutes, stopping to stir every minute.
Whisk the mixture thoroughly until smooth.
Stir the crumbled tea cookies into the chocolate concrete base.
Line the Swiss roll pan with a sheet of parchment paper.
Pour the chocolate concrete mixture on top of the parchment.
Flatten and smooth the concrete with a buttered spatula.
Combine the 177ml. of milk or sweet, dark chocolate with the vegetable shortening in a microwave-safe bowl.
Heat the mixture on medium power in 30-second intervals, stirring after each, until the chocolate is melted smooth.
Spread the chocolate sauce over the chocolate concrete in the pan.
Cool the dessert until it hardens. Cut the concrete into small rectangles or triangles with a pizza cutter.
Tips and warnings
- If you cannot find plain tea cookies, opt for any lightly sweetened cookie such as amaretti, biscotti or shortbread cookies.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for