Latex clothing is expensive for a reason: the shine! There's no other fabric that has the properties of rubber clothing; its unique texture attracts all kinds of customers, from models to fashionistas. Latex is extremely temperamental, so you must avoid oils, solvents, heat and sharp objects -- the smallest cut can cause an unstoppable tear. Treat it kindly, and your latex piece will last. A number of special-purpose silicone lubricants are available to shine your latex, but most silicone lubricants work as well.
- Skill level:
Things you need
- Silicone lubricant
- Soft, clean cloth
Choose a lubricant that works for you. For a brilliant shine, use a product made specifically for shining latex clothes; it creates a wet look that doesn't leave a greasy film on the clothing. Silicone spray works well for a quick shine, but make sure to apply it outdoors, because the spray is harsh. Do not use any product containing petroleum, because oil will eat through your garment.
Apply a generous amount of silicone lubricant to the cloth and coat the garment gently with the silicone. Don't rub hard because the fabric is delicate and you can damage the surface. Spread the silicone evenly over the garment. It's easier to wear your latex and have a helper polish your clothes for you for consistency.
Check your work under good lighting and touch up any unpolished spots. And don't despair -- the more you shine your garment, the better the gleam. The latex will absorb the silicone lubricant, so several applications will create a better sheen.
Tips and warnings
- Be gentle when you shine a latex garment; the smallest tear can ruin your clothing. If you find a tear or split, send it back to the manufacturer. Repair kits are available online as well.
- Keep a bottle of silicone with you when going out to perform touch-ups in the bathroom.
- Never use a petroleum product on latex clothing.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for