Construction and contractors keep tool security a top priority while on the job site. These boxes may be made of diamond plate steel or plastic and have locks to secure their cargo. While speciality tool boxes come with security options, other ways exist to allow you to secure your current tool box from theft. Securing your tool box to the truck bed prevents others from taking advantage if you walk away from your tools or spend hours in an area far from your vehicle.
- Skill level:
- Moderately Easy
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- Wire brush
- MiG welder
- Two 12 inch pieces of 2-inch by 2-inch angle iron
- Electric Drill
- Drill bit
- 4 stainless steel bolts with nuts and washers
Place the tool box on a flat concrete surface. The best tool box for this purpose is a multiple-drawer tool box with a lid which lifts and closes. Closing the lid and turning the key of these tool boxes activates the locking mechanism, preventing the drawers from opening.
Clean the paint off of the lower two inches of each side of the tool box with the wire brush to prepare it for welding. Position the two pieces of angle iron on each side of the tool box so that a lip is created. Use the MIG welder to tack weld these pieces of angle iron to the toolbox.
Drill one hole into each side of the lip created by welding the angle iron to the toolbox. Drill the holes approximately one inch from each end of angle iron.
Place the tool box into the bed of the truck where you want to mount. Using the electric drill, drill four holes through the holes in the angle iron and through the bed of the truck.
Slip a bolt through the hole that you just drilled, then run the washer and nut onto the bolt from underneath the truck.
Tips and warnings
- Always try to store your truck indoors if you plan to be away for long periods of time.
- Keep your toolbox padlocked to prevent someone from opening your toolbox when you are not around to supervise.
- Truck tool boxes purchased from construction suppliers lock onto the bed rails of the vehicle to prevent its removal.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for