Wearing a hat made from animal fur is more than just a stylish and chic fashion statement. An animal-fur hat is also the best way to keep your head warm on those frigid, blustery winter days. Deciding to make your own fur hat is a perfect way to guarantee that you have the ideal hat for your face shape and personal style. Best of all, making an animal-fur hat is not nearly as complicated as one may think.
- Skill level:
Other People Are Reading
Things you need
- fur pelts
- furrier knife
- hem tape
- hat pattern
- sewing machine
- sew-in interfacing
- lining fabric
Comb the fur on each pelt, then lay them skin-side up with the grain facing the same direction.
Sew the pelts together using a small denim needle.
Strengthen the seams with hem tape.
Lay the pattern pieces on top of the fur pelts and use the marking pen to trace the pattern pieces.
Pin the pattern pieces to the interfacing and lining and cut them according to pattern directions.
Stitch the interfacing to the fur pattern pieces by hand.
Use a sewing machine or serger to sew the lining.
Use a small denim needle to assemble the fur pieces, with the interfacing attached on the sewing machine according to pattern instructions.
Attach the lining to the assembled hat shell.
Tips and warnings
- When making fur hats, use simple, uncomplicated patterns with a limited number of pattern pieces.
- Inspect your pelts closely before starting to make your fur hat. Discard all damaged or dry pelts.
- 20 of the funniest online reviews ever
- 14 Biggest lies people tell in online dating sites
- Hilarious things Google thinks you're trying to search for